Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google is working on a gigantic airship "secretly" at one of the NASA centers and even though he denied of that, media is following around and after all, it may be real.
This Gigantic Airship is mainly being built for humanitarian missions mainly for supplying cargo and food all over the world. Here is everything we know about this airship.
Massive Air Ship
The ship is being secretly built in a gigantic hangar at NASA's Mountain View facility. If you do not know about airships, they are basically gigantic balloons with space for transport (for people and cargo). They basically run mostly on Helium and some times hot air. Hidenburg is the first airship but later faced an unfateful crash.
Here are some quick facts we know:
- This new airship is highly likely to be a "Blimp." Blimp is similar to Airship but it will not have any frame but instead shapes it based on the pressurised gas
- The length of the ship according to rumours is 200 meters which will make it the longest airship in the world (or blimp)
- Even though Hydrogen is initially considered, the driving source is later changed to Helium as FAA suggests no flammable materials must be used in airships due to the Hidenburg disaster
- Will be mostly used for personal expeditions and humanitarian missions
- It can carry even heavy loads thanks to the internal gas bladders which will maintains its buyoyancy (floating tendency essential)
- Designed to be fastet than the current generation airships or blimps
- May cost around $100 million to $150 million
Igor Pasternak, an airship designer told to The Guardian,
Sergey is pretty innovative and forward looking. Trucks are only as good as your roads, trains can only go where you have rails, and planes need airports. Airships can deliver from point A to point Z without stopping anywhere in between.
Airships like this are capable of long travel without any stopping points because of the availabilty of Helium widely but they are very slow. Sergery Brin is consutling many lead engineers to make the Airship "faster, lighter and safer."
Sergery Brin even though he is building this ship for personal expeditions, he is also intending it to be used in humanitarian missions worldwide. Maybe if this airship succeds, we may witness more airships but this time specifically for these missions from Google itself.