In pursuit of making our lives simpler, Google is continuously bringing new tools and services. A new tool announced by Google recently is a much simpler and easier than others to make data less boring. Being termed as Data Gif Maker.
Data Gif Maker
GIFs are basically images that move. What separates GIFs from Video is the size. They size almost the same as the image files. GIFs are now being user more than before thanks to GIPHY entry and conveying feelings through GIFs on social media.
Google's new too, as the name suggests, will convert your data into interesting animations. This was explained in a blog post by Simon Rogers. Mostly useful for journalism, this tool can be used by almost everyone. The tool even though is too simplistic for multiple features, it can do its job perfectly.
Here is how to make these animations:
- The tool is mostly for comparing two terms
- After you visit here, you can see a left term and right term
- Enter the names of the terms you are willing to compare
- Choose the colours of your choice
- Below the terms, you must enter the values of the each term (From your data)
- Add any text at the bottom for reference
- You are also given multiple windows for simultaneous comparisons
- There are two options - Launch comparisons and Download as Gif
- While the first one will allow you to view them as images, the latter will download the GIFs of the data
You can know about the process in detail with images in the blog post itself. The data tool will suffice for small amounts of data for comparing two things. But the tool will be more useful if we witness some improvements like:
- The conversion process takes a long time (literally) and it will be much better if these simple GIF makings are quick
- There is only an option to compare two things for now with the data given mostly restricted to numbers
- We cannot control the various themes to make a GIF
- Adding captions is a bit too simplistic
But after all, this tool is made for just turning boring data to funny animations and the tool is free to use and resides in the browser. So, maybe we cannot expect it to be perfect and highly productive.
Even though tools like these are smaller in scale, they are great at doing little things much faster and better. We need more such tools for making our lives easier and Google, we trust you to make it happen.