Drone designs are getting smarter and smarter every day. There are a lot of flying drones to perform various tasks for various requirements, but the existence of underwater drones is very less.
Underwater drones that look interesting is a whole another story. Meet BIKI, the underwater drones that look like a fish. BIKI already smashed its goal during crowdfunding on Kickstarter and let us see what is special about this.
BIKI: First Bionic Robot Fish
With the lead design by CEO of Robosea, Dr.Xiong Minglei, BIKI is not a new invention. Instead, it is the result of multiple evolutions of many previous versions that have the same name. To be exact, the BIKI now going on sale is 5.1 Version. BIKI originated first in the Antarctic regions for research purposes and now it is shaped to meet everyone's' needs.
As we are talking about the 5.1 Version, the reiteration is widely improved with advanced design and smart features for suiting almost every need. Here are the key features of BIKI:
- Maximum Depth of 196 Feet
- BIKI can travel underwater at a speed of 1.12 mph
- The advanced design and compactness makes the drone ultra silent with just 55 decibels of output
- The drone features a camera that can capture 4K Ultra HD Video even underwater thanks to its 2X144 Lumen Lights at the front and 150 degrees wide-angle lens
- An onboard storage of 32 GB allows up to 90-120 min of video capturing
- The camera is also equipped with anti-shake stabiliser for smooth and quality videos
- Designed like a fish, the drone uses bionic sonar echolocation process for detecting objects in the environment and to steer away from obstacles
- The drone moves in the water by a tail fin inspired by real fishes
- The drone can be controlled either by a remote given or a smartphone which includes controlling depth, determining the path etc.
- BIKI supports both iOS and Android
- The drone also has GPS and Automated Balance to float, dive and drive
The drone features the tail built with super-firm, natural rubber and a high elasticity alloy to emulate the tail bone of a fish. Also, the balance and stability are obtained by Bionic Snorkeling Movement. The camera of BIKI uses the chicken head tracking which basically allows it to retain the front position (Camera) even though its body is unstable.
The drone is available in various packages:
- Super Early Bird
- Early Bird BIKI
- Kickstarter Special
- BIKI Brothers (X2)
- BIKI Swarm (X5)
You can learn more about the various packages available on the projects' Kickstarter page here. Also, you will get special discounts if you buy ahead of the official release.
The drone is of its first kind and thanks to the experts included the drone offers a lot at that price point. If you that person who stays near water all the times, make no delay as the price will go higher in a few months.