Smartphones these days are in the hands of everyone. Connectivity between various smartphones can be achieved by various means. But the easy and simple one of all is Bluetooth. Not only Bluetooth connects phones, but it will allow your phone to control various devices with a simple tap.
Bluetooth version is now upgraded to 5.0 recently and here what's new.
Bluetooth, a wireless technology standard for short distances transmission is managed by Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). The name interesting is taken from a historic novel named The Long Ships inspired by the name of the king Harald Bluetooth.
The organisation announced the newer version of Bluetooth 5.0 which is largely improved than its previous version. The new version is aimed at the next generation of smartphones and new devices and here are some new features of 5.0:
- 2X Speed - The data transmission is nearly two times faster than 4.0 which removes our problem of long waitings in sending files through Bluetooth
- 4X Range - While the range of Bluetooth 4.0 is 33-300 feet, Bluetooth 5.0 have a longer range of 100-1000 feet
- 8X Data -The data limit is pushed and users can now send more data than previous thanks to the huge improvement
- Improved IoT connectivity - Internet of Things (IoT) is revolutionising our living and Bluetooth wants to make it easier with its improved connectivity with IoT devices
- More Availability - Bluetooth is trying to bring its new version to more devices than before making it ubiquitous
- More Applications - Now, more devices will support Bluetooth for improved connectivity
The availability of Bluetooth 5.0 for smartphones may be disappointing for many. Samsung S8 and S8 Plus are the only Android smartphones with Bluetooth 5.0 and Apple is making its way to this new version in the upcoming versions.
Also, the availability of third-party devices supporting Bluetooth 5.0 is not here yet to the full extent. The switch will likely to happen after the leading smartphone makers will opt for 5.0. Also, SIG assures that this update or change will not result in more battery consumption.
Bluetooth says that,
Simplifying our marketing, communicating user benefits more effectively and making it easier to signal significant technology updates to the market.
This update is being considered a major update Bluetooth ever had and if you are looking to buy a new Bluetooth device, you may have to wait for the 5.0 version as it offers a lot more than its predecessor.