Microsoft dropped its new addition to the Surface family as expected. Announced at the Shangai Event, Microsoft is releasing this device in various models. The Surface Pro ditched the number in its name to be an independent product and Microsoft claims even though the device looks the same, there are a lot of changes done internally.
A Lot of New Things
Microsoft is zeroing on for dominance in the computers market as it is on new devices releasing spree. The new Surface Pro is a lot of improvement over the Surface pro 4 almost in terms of anything though the design field is where Microsoft hasn't made any changes.
In an interview with Verge Microsoft's Surface chief, Panos Panay said,
It’s a meaningful change.There are about 800 new custom parts in the new Pro.
Here are the new upgrades and features of Surface Pro in comparison with Surface Pro 4
- Same number of Variants but more reasonably priced
- Base model starts at $799 (approx. 52,000 INR)
- Highest model costs about $2699 (approx. 1,80,000 INR)
- An improved battery life of up to 13.5 hours (50% more battery life)
- Lighter weight
- New 7th Generation Kaby-Lake processor
- m3 and i5 models are fanless
- Features round edges for good grip
- The hinge can support a large angle (up to 165 degrees)
- A stronger and flexible hinge
- Surface Pen is not included anymore ($99)
- Type covers (not included) now uses Alcantara (fiber) keyboard
- Same port arrangement
- An LTE version is also available (at last) with a slot for SIM
That's a lot of improvement over there. Thankfully, even though they are premium devices, the price range is a lot more reasonable. Here are the variants available for Surface Pro:
- 128GB - Intel core m3 - 4GB RAM
- 128GB - Intel core i5 - 4GB RAM
- 256GB - Intel core i5 - 8GB RAM
- 256GB - Intel core i7 - 8GB RAM
- 512GB - Intel core i7 - 16GB RAM
- 1TB - Intel core i7 - 16GB RAM
Microsoft gradually made Surface name popular from the past few years and the Surface family have a great value in the market for their premium design and reliable features not to mention the tech giant Microsoft. They are expecting that Surface Pro will be vastly sold than the others due to a large number of variants available and the slightly reduced prices.
Due to the educational motives of Microsoft, the Surface Pro can be grabbed at a discount if you are a student or faculty at a University or College. The device will be shipped on 15th June in the selected countries.
People are happy (mainly Microsoft and Windows lovers) for the direction Microsoft is heading to. From making awesome OS' to developing premium hardware, Microsoft has come a long way and by looking at the positive response it seems like Apple needs to stay on high alert.