Elon Musk did it again. This risk-taking, moonshot-pursuing entrepreneur is now aiming for solving energy problems for our homes and buildings. After acquiring SolarCity, Elon Musk is working since then on making solar energy the best alternative for energy supply.
This attempt by him is to address the effect fossil fuels consumption is having on this planet and the lack of an efficient renewable energy generation method. He also aims to make Solar energy generation from expensive and not efficient to ubiquitous and cheap.
What Is Special About These Roof Tiles
Tesla Solar Roofs will completely replace your home tiles (if available) or likely to be a new layer of the roof that takes solar energy, converts into electricity and stores it in a single place. Here it will be stored in Tesla's Powerwall which collects all the electricity generated so that it can be used anytime.
The design of the roof tiles is made very carefully and sturdily to withstand all types of conditions which make the traditional roof tiles look like toys before it.
The specifications and features of the Roof Tiles are as follows:
- Available in two types - glass solar tiles and glass non-solar tiles to customize electricity generation
- Four Variants - The different tile types available are Textured, Smooth, Tuscan and Slate
- Infinite Warranty - Built to last long and are three times stronger than traditional tiles
- Off-Grid reliability - Integration with Tesla powerwall for uninterrupted power supply
- Hail Rating - Class 4 FM 4473 (best)
- Wind Rating - Class F ASTM D3161 (best)
- Fire Rating - Class A UL 790 (best)
- Glass Coating Standards - ASTM C1376EN 1096 (best reliability)
- Power Warranty - 30 years
- Weatherization Warranty - 30 years
The Tesla Roofs still unavailable in India may not suit India homes as we do not use tile-based roofs anymore but the layered tiles can be placed on top of the homes if needed. The probability of Solar roofs on India homes aside, the tiles are pretty advanced and by looking at the demonstration looks like having the ability to last longer.
Tesla, known for its alternative and non-conventional energy methods can be trusted based on its past achievements. Solar roofs powered with Solar walls will generate the electricity as desired but the problem may arise in terms of the application of these tiles.
Some shortcomings are:
- Not suited for every home design type
- Need Sunlight which may be not possible if homes are located in between vegetation and tall buildings
- Installation difficulties
- Heavy initial investment
- Undesired without Power wall from Tesla
Opting for Solar Energy, the most efficient renewable source is one of the best and bold steps by Elon Musk. If the building location meets the solar tile requirement, then this is the best one can get from eco-friendly power generation but for people with homes in technically-challenged places and people with different home styles like in India, these may not work out as desired. At the end, it all comes down to cost vs savings, which the time will tell.