In amid all the ferocious hard-hitting, an unknown boy from Pune, Rahul Tripathi, has blown away all the spectators with his mind-boggling performances. He has been the only consistent thing in the inconsistent run of RPS this season.
IPL is a blessing for young players:-
IPL has this tendency from the starting of churning out unknown talents and providing them the global stage to showcase their talent. Bumrah, Pandeya brothers, Swapnil Asnodkar are some of the players, who became overnight sensation with their performances in the cash rich league. Apart from glamour that comes with the league, this speciality of the franchises to explore talented players, is the sole reason that the league has got huge acclaims from the great cricketers. Some of these players go on to make a name for themselves, while some vanish away in the shadow of stardom.
The very talented Rahul Tripathi:-
Rahul Tripathi is one such player who has risen this season with his extraordinary performances. Scoring 93 in the match against top team like KKR speaks volumes about the talent of the player. Players from all over the world are in awe of the 26 year old sensation, who is hitting world class bowlers over the boundaries for fun. Here are the stats of his IPL journey so far:-
Some facts about the player that is raising everyone’s eyebrows:-
- He is the first local player to play for the franchise Pune (RPS and Pune Warriors both didn’t have any local player)
- Tripathi wasn’t picked for the interstate and inter-zonal T20 competitions. He also did not find a place in the first four games for Maharashtra in the Vijay Hazare Trophy.
- His father, Colonel Ajay Tripathi, has been part of the Indian Army. Rahul took up cricket seriously when his father got posted from Srinagar to Pune after Operation Parakram.
- Tripathi has a B.Sc degree in Mathematics. His father once quipped in an interview that Rahul’s lowest score ever in the subject is 98!
- Rahul Tripathi has hit 6 sixes twice (albeit in a local tournament in Pune). Last year, he achieved the feat on two occasions.
- When Tripathi started off, he wasn’t an aggressive batsman, but one who could stay in the crease for long periods. He smote seven sixes against a strong KKR bowling attack in RPS’s last game.
- His father himself has had cricket training, and represented the Uttar Pradesh side at junior levels, and has played cricket for his University.
- Tripathi made his first-class debut against Baroda in 2012, but managed to get just one more game before being dropped. He scored more than 500 runs for Maharashtra in the 2014-15 season, taking them to the semi-finals.
- He was the highest run-getter, in the 2009-10 Cooch Behar Trophy and has scored well for Maharashtra at all-age group levels. He was named in the Maharashtra Cricket Association XI, and has played against the likes of Kane Williamson, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor and Scott Styris.
- Tripathi was picked in the last round of the IPL 2017 auctions, and went for the minimum price of Rs. 10 Lakh. He made his debut in the middle order this season, but was promoted up the order when Mayank Agrawal failed with the bat.
Should not get carried away:-
The right handed batsman has shown an impeccable temperament, which cannot be taught. This is what distinguishes a good player from a world class player. Players need this kind of temperament at the top level to perform consistently. Hence, it is important for the player not to get carried away with all the glamour and concentrate on what he does the best, smoking the balls over the boundary.