Innovation is what propels human race forward. It makes humans step up their game and live the life they dream of. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla is one of the few people that start their day with a plan for innovation. He is one of the rarest class of humans who has a crazy idea (almost impossible) and tries to make them a reality.
Elon Musk who with these crazy ideas alone changed the face of Energy, Transportation and Space Exploration in the last few years. Some of his ideas changed to reality are:
- To prove all-electric cars will be efficient and well-received by the people with Tesla
- Make Solar Energy mainstream for various place with his company Solar City
- SpaceX proving that rockets can be re-usable cutting a lot of expenses and making space exploration economical
Now, he wants to reduce traffic by starting a 3D tunnel network underneath cities and for this started a company called Boring Company
The Boring Company
It was first mentioned by Musk on Twitter in late 2016 and the company started testing in the month end of April 2017. The objective of this company is simple: Tunnel Network To Reduce Traffic
What Elon Musk aims to deliver can be demonstrated with a simple example. Imagine that you are in a city with notorious traffic. You went to a meeting in your car, completed the meeting and now must go to a conference a few miles way against time. According to Musk, you have two options before you
- Hop into your car and drive through the hectic traffic resulting in you not making it to the important conference OR
- You can take the fastest mode of transportation leaving your car into the hands of Boring Company which grabs your car and transports it through underground network to the desired location quickly
The second option seems much better and promising. This is what Boring company is about. Transporting Cars from one place to another through Tunnel network beating traffic.
How does Elon Musk want To Execute This?
Though this project looks impossible to be done, Elon Musk sure has some plans to tackle the problems that arise and want to make this a thing to reality in the coming years. The plans he made to various situations are as follows:
- The underground network will follow a 3D structure which means that the transportation of the vehicles can be done on not one or two but many levels going depth wise
- The time-taking and expensive tunnelling process will be made more efficient and economical using a more versatile custom tunnelling machine designed particularly for the situation needed
- Tunnels will be of less diameter than the typical standard size to save costs and time as the trams/platforms that transport them are not large
Will It Be Possible?
Elon Musk is an innovator who will most probably stand on the promises he made. With re-usable rockets now a thing, all-electrics cars can be mainstream and Solar energy now being a cheap alternative which is made possible thanks to Elon Musk, Boring Company may stand on what it aims to deliver. What do you think?